Saturday, November 22, 2008

83. Hide our love with unsheathed knives and ugly lies.


I've been thinking a lot lately, about how life ends when we do. It doesn't make much sense, I know. We are the lives and it is impossible to end without taking us down with it. Our bodies decay in the cramp coffins they shove us into, or just left on the mantelpiece as dusts or ashes of how glorious we used to be.

No matter what age we lose our last breaths, we will be put down all the same. Our bodies limp, our souls gone. But what if there were no deaths? No mourns, no sadness, no funerals, no crappy music. What if we were to live forever?

Immortality.

Is such a cursed thing in our grasp? The word lingers in dying ears and lost souls, seeking for a way to escape death and defy the laws, to live forever. Immortality is a hard thing to understand. Some thinks it is a curse that lives as long as we do. Yet, some thinks it's a blessing from the above, to live a day longer to see who we love.

But if we were immortal, or we could live longer than any man or woman in this world, wouldn't we live long enough to see our loved ones die? We marry and have kids, who have kids on their own. But if they weren't immortal and we were, wouldn't we have watched the kids we've raised die before we do? It's a heartbreaking thing, one that we all would never want to experience.

But that doesn't matter. Kids are dying earlier than their parents already anyway.

I want to be immortal, or at least try to be immortal in a experimental surgery. It is cool, in a way. Deadly, dangerous, really stupid, but if I do come out immortal, I'm cool. But no one knows what immortals are, whether they age, or remain the same. Whether they still need to eat and drink to live.

If we were immortals, would we die if we simply hold our breaths? Would we perish if we tried drowning in the sea? Immortals are mortals that simply cannot die, and will live past anyone who has ever lived before. But does that mean if we are burnt alive, we wouldn't die? Or does that mean we never burn?

Is immortality some form of being invincible, forever indestructible? Does it mean that we can try slice our palms with a knife and never be able to cut through? Or maybe slamming ourselves into a wall and feel no pain. Or maybe even stabbing a pair of scissors through our stomachs but never ever getting past the thin layer of skin.

If immortality is being alive forever, do we suffer from strokes, paralyzing our bodies, but still manage to live? And what if we pull out the life support, to put ourselves out of misery. Do we die then, or continue living as a crippled?

Questions, questions, questions.

I'm still waiting for them to be answered. Maybe when I die, the answers will arise, and my worries will be long gone. But if I was immortal, would I ever get the answers to my questions? I'd like to think I'm immortal, at least. I'd be cheating death everyday, laughing at it in the face to see it snarling back at me through an unbreakable glass.

But maybe being immortal isn't all that invincible and death might seep through the invisible barricade that splits us, taking my life within a minute.

Maybe that's what will happen when I die.

Or, if, I ever die.

Nicole (:

No comments: