Wednesday, December 23, 2009

339. It's been so long.

I haven't written in ages. I mean you could say that it's because I don't have the time. But that would just be making up silly excuses for it. Ushered by a bitch and a boy who has really bad typos, I have decided to update. (Thank me profusely, bow down to me muahaha.) I'll update the pictures of Turkey soon. But for now, I'll leave you with this (:

He holds his fingers out to hers, as if to place it upon an intangible glass door, and he smiles like everything was perfect.

She fits her palm with his, and slide her fingers between the gaps. It's a clasp, meaningless, inconsequential, insignificant, insubstantial. Nothing more than hands in each others.

His grin widens, the edges of his smile twinkling in his eyes. He looks like he's about to burst with exuberance. That's when she understood what significance it meant to him, and she tore away.

Have you ever heard a heart break?

It's the sound of a thousand cries of children who have losses, or the chanting prayers of a man being carried off to the stand. It's the sound of a woman crying because of the death of her lover, or even the gasp of a family, that moment that ceased to exist in reality when they see the gentle shake of the doctor's head.

'I'm sorry,' she says, brushing imaginary dust off her skirt, pushing back her matted fringe. She tries to wipe off the imprint of his hands upon hers, but her skin throbs with guilt.

She waits.

'It's fine.' He smiles again.

But there's something missing, that trivial joy, that frivolous elation, that spark. His eyes were utterly devoid of happiness.

And she knows that he waited a little too long to have spoken the truth, and stays hidden behind a fragile shell of a smile, and the existence of hollow, absurd words on his lips.

This is how a heart breaks in two.


(PS: Ariff, I didn't have any typos! ;D)

No comments: